Thursday, June 28, 2012

Frequent Whitewater Rafting Miles?

This week, I went whitewater rafting for the second time in my life. I only fell out of the raft once this time; I think I'm about ready for the Class V's on the Colorado. The Kern River is no joke, though, as we hit plenty of Class IV's and some pretty tricky Class III's. The only way to go whitewater rafting is with Kern River Outfitters, though: the guides are great, the food is better, and they actually make camping tolerable for those of you, like me, who prefer to vacation in 5-star hotels.

Now, despite traveling 20 miles down the lower Kern River over two days, I couldn't directly accrue any miles. However, this trip did net me well over 2000 travel points. Like always, I offered to pay for my entire party's trip (6 people) up front on my credit card, which as you can guess was about a $2,000 charge. Then, each member of my party could pay me back at their convenience. I've found that most people either don't use credit cards or don't collect points, so they never mind when I offer to front the money. Obviously, this works in all sorts of situations and should be used as often as possible (as long as you trust that you'll be reimbursed).




No comments:

Post a Comment