Thursday, June 21, 2012

Anniversary Trip: Hotel Maya in Long Beach

For $254, we received 2 nights at Hotel Maya ($500 value), a $25 food and beverage credit, a two-hour bike rental for two ($50 value), and free parking ($34 value) = $609. How did I get such a good deal? Living Social, of course. I subscribe to nearly every service of its kind. Anyway, we returned home yesterday from this lovely trip, which matched my high expectations (see all pictures). But this vacation almost didn't happen. Right before I purchased this package from Living Social, I noticed our anniversary was one of the very few blackout dates on the voucher. Then I recalled my time researching this hotel on TripAdvisor, specifically that Hotel Maya's general manager responded to each and every customer review, suggesting a high level of customer service. Hence, I took it upon myself to email her, detailing my situation:

Mrs. Allen,

I took considerable note of the Living Social voucher offered by your hotel today, as I've been looking for a nice destination to spend with my wife for our 3rd anniversary. In the course of my research, I thoroughly enjoyed your hotel's website and TripAdvisor reviews, especially your meticulous and helpful replies to each review. Unfortunately, after deciding on your hotel as our getaway, I read the voucher's fine print, which indicated blackout dates from June 19-23. As I'm sure you've guessed by now, our anniversary happens to fall on one of those dates: Tuesday, June 19. I had been planning to stay at your hotel on the nights of June 18 and 19, and was wondering if it might be possible to use the voucher on only one of the blackout dates. I have not yet purchased the voucher and would usually not go through this much trouble; however, I would be remiss if I didn't at least inquire. Regardless of your decision, I hope to stay with you some time in the future.


And that did the trick: blackout date waived. Below are a few pictures (see all) from our trip and my review of the hotel.

Our Room

Fresh Baked Cookie Upon Check-in

The View from Our Balcony

Biking Along the Beach

Our Pool

Our Hotel's Restaurant, Fuego
Aquarium of the Pacific, Right Across the Water


Room: Nice and clean. Very modern style but you could tell it's been refurbished. The television was a brand new flat-screen yet didn't have the option to purchase in-room movies...or anything else for that matter. I can't remember the last time I had to go to the front desk to check-out. We did enjoy the Keurig coffee maker, though. And the awesome view of the harbor. (8/10)

Service: The front desk staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. I bet the general manager has a lot to do with that. Room service was prompt. However, the service in the restaurant was quite slow and not all that attentive. I mean, the food was great but I expect more from a restaurant of this caliber and price point. (8/10)

Location: This may be Long Beach's best located hotel. From anywhere on the hotel grounds, you could throw a stone and hit water. From most walkways, you could dip your foot in the water. Not to mention the amazing views from...everywhere...of...everything. You can walk to The Queen Mary, Rainbow Harbor, The Pike, Aquarium of the Pacific, Shoreline Village, etc. Or you can take the Aqua Bus which stops at 4-5 major attractions...and this hotel -- it costs a whole buck. (10/10)

Overall: If you're in Long Beach, stay here. But unless you have a discount, you'd better save up. (8/10)



1 comment:

  1. Very nice review! I've been to the Maya, it is an elagant resort style hotel with an exotic ambiance. Your photos are fantastic! Thanks for sharing your experience and for treating your wife to a special anniversary get away! You both deserve it!

    ReplyDelete