Monday, July 2, 2012

An Open Letter to Le Chene

I just dispatched one of my aforementioned "dreaded letters." The unfortunate recipient: Le Chene restaurant in Santa Clarita. In my hurry to voice my disapproval, I just quickly drafted a straightforward letter rather than authoring a whirlwind of penetrating prose.


"To Whom This May Concern:

My most recent visit to your establishment has been my second unpleasant experience in as many times. Firstly, we specifically dined at Le Chene because of your advertisement:


"Last 2 Days for Foie Gras before California Ban takes effect on July 1. To enjoy this wonderful French delicacy, please join us on either Friday, June 29 or Saturday, June 30, 2012. After that, we will no longer be able to have it on the menu! Make a Reservation!"


Now, despite being the very first guests on the day of June 30 (with 5:30 reservations), we were informed Le Chene no longer had foie gras -- how displeasing! We could have dined at one of the dozens of other restaurants in Los Angeles holding foie gras dinners that very evening. To compound the situation, our waiter, Amadeo, was less than apologetic and accommodating. When we attempted to order potatoes to go with our steaks, he also informed us Le Chene was out of that culinary staple as well. And, once again, his attitude bordered on disrespectful. We had the misfortune to have had him as our waiter on our last visit as well -- another special occasion -- and his service then was well below par if not unacceptable. We figured he was new since we'd never seen him before but excuses cannot be made for his service this time around.


As a consistent patron of Le Chene, I've come to expect better from a restaurant of your caliber and price point. These recent events have cast serious doubt upon your restaurant's once good name."


Their responce will determine if they are to continue receiving my lucrative business. On a related note, I don't like being force fed morality. If I want fatty duck liver, fatty duck liver I shall have.

My first foie gras: Le Procope in Paris, France.
What a great excuse for a return visit.
  



No comments:

Post a Comment